The government has ignored the needs of students throughout the pandemic. Together, we’re going to change that.
We want governments and universities to:
• Uphold students' basic legal rights – students should not be treated differently to other members of the public and scapegoated. We should not be threatened and policed by private security forces.
• Give students the right to leave without financial detriment – including exiting accommodation, deferring or permanently leaving our courses.
• Ensure fair treatment during accommodation lockdowns – rent reimbursement for lockdown periods and free internet access, care packages with food, wellbeing materials, and necessities, and targeted educational & mental health support, with facilitation of social activity.
• Provide an effective strategy for education now and for post-covid recovery – Now: an effective test & trace system in place, a move to online teaching as default and a student support package including immediate financial & wellbeing support. Post-Covid: investment into digital infrastructure and mental health support. Future: a new strategy that delivers lifelong, funded and accessible education for everyone in society.
We’ve been fighting for students throughout the pandemic. We’ve been working around the clock, alongside students’ unions, to fight for justice and defend students’ rights since this pandemic began. The collective power of NUS and students’ unions across the country has won…
• £500m back for students, by securing early tenancy release
• forced the government to provide £66m for hardship support with a #StudentSafetyNet in Scotland and Northern Ireland
• A U-turn on A-level, GCSE and BTEC grading in the summer, winning #JusticeForEducation
• Rent refunds for students in accommodation lockdown.
NUS and students’ unions have and will continue to represent students at local, regional and national levels, united and mobilised. And you can be a part of the action!
Find out more about this campaign and how you can be involved, by visiting the following:
If you would like to show your support please sign our petition. If you’d like to be kept informed on this or other campaigns we’re working on just tick the relevant preference boxes and we’ll do the rest. We’ll let you know when things are happening and how you can help. Supporting us can involve as little as signing a petition, liking something on social or sharing links to our website with your friends. Please read our privacy statement so you know how your data will be used. Please note providing your name and email address will log your support for this petition, but if you want us to be able to contact you again, or to keep you informed about this or other issues, you must tick the relevant preference boxes before you sign up for this petition.
Want to support this campaign? Join us today